Place of Birth: Guangdong, China
We celebrate the life of Chung Man (Tommy) Tam, the beloved husband to Siu Ying Tam for 55 years. loving father and father-in-law to Henry & Sharon, Carl & Debbie and Winnie & Ray, and proud grandfather to Isaac, Rebekah, Trinity and Rachel.
My dad, Chung Man, loved to smile. He would especially light up when he was surrounded by family. Being around family was his happy place.
You would not know this from his childhood where we was orphaned at 6 and separated from his family/siblings and sent to Hong Kong. Perhaps it was these harsh beginnings that made him yearn for a better and more peaceful life for his own family when he decided to move to Canada with my mom and 2 brothers in tow. Imagine being a banker in Hong Kong and then moving to a country where you don't know the language and then working as a chef. Yet he made that sacrifice for us.
Some of my special memories of him were as a:
(1) Story Teller - I remember looking forward to storytime every night where he would tell us different tales with unique characters that stirred my imagination and made us laugh
(2) Artist - He loved to paint and was self taught. Our home was filled with beautiful oil paintings on every wall of various styles that were based on his current inspirations.
(3) Foodie - being a chef he would put so much care into his food and even in how he packaged my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches perfectly would be the envy of my classmates
(4) Family Man - Dad would find time (on his 1 day off each week) to take us to outings so we could have quality family time together and see and experience new things
(5) Teacher - He took the time to teach us Chinese and accelerate our Math skills to the delight of our school teachers and chess coaches :)
These are just a few memories that I hold onto and treasure, and if you had spent any time with him you would have experienced and benefited from his great passion and purpose.
He became a Christian and was baptized in 2005, as he discovered the joy and peace that Jesus offers freely.
Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
Today, looking back at his life, his legacy and the family and friends that surround him, he is pleased and I know he is smiling at us today from heaven with his signature smile. Thank you for being the best Husband/Dad/Grandfather/Uncle/etc. We Love You.
Info: Dear Friends and Family With the current circumstances of covid-19, the funeral and visitation are open only to family members, however friends can attend via the livestream through this site. Donations, gifts, flowers are not required, just your prayers, support and well wishes, however if you wish to send notes, ecards or other financial contributions please write/send to email@example.com. Thank you again for your prayers and warm wishes. Tam Family